Exploring Indigenous Culture and Empowering Indigenous Youth Leaders
Our Indigenous Leadership and Educational programs can be tailored for Indigenous and non-Indigenous young people. Participants explore history and current events and examine privileges and perceptions, while engaging with Inuit, Metis and First Nations Elders and community members in the development of their leadership skills.
Our Indigenous Leadership and Education programs are designed to:
- Explore and celebrate Indigenous cultures and perspectives
- Develop leadership skills, confidence and sense of belonging
- Explore issues facing Indigenous communities
- Design action plans that support diversity and positive Indigenous cultural awareness or personal action plans that address individual or community issues that participants are passionate about
Sacred Circle educates and motivates First Nations, Metis and Inuit youth to make change and become leaders in their communities. The program is delivered in partnership with community elders and mentors. Sacred Circle was designed in consultation with educators from the Department of Aboriginal Education at Nanaimo Ladysmith School District and is based upon Indigenous concepts such as the Seven Teachings and the Medicine Wheel.
- Increased academic achievement and engagement
- Development of advanced leadership skills, self-esteem and confidence
- Strengthened sense of belonging and community
- Inspiration and support for youth to participate in their communities as leaders
- Exploration and celebration of personal and cultural identity
Imagine Canada focuses on educating young people on the history and traditions of Canada’s Indigenous populations, and promotes diversity and inclusivity in the collective Canadian community. Throughout the program, participants have the opportunity to reflect on their place in Canada’s history and learn about their unique privilege and perceptions.
- A deeper understanding of history and issues facing Indigenous communities
- Knowledge of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and the impact of the report
- An increased cultural perspective
- Tangible leadership and advocacy skills
- Action Planning that supports diversity and positive Indigenous cultural awareness
The Impact of ME to WE Leadership Programs
As a result of participating in ME to WE’s Sacred Circle Program:
felt a responsibility to be a positive mentor in their community
felt their voice/opinion was valued
more aware of the support systems available to them for their future
felt there was a link between their education and being a positive contributor to their community
*Statistics from a 2014-2015 study by Mission Measurement, LLC.